Water discoloration and flaking of kitchen cabinet

Old 03-22-14, 11:54 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water discoloration and flaking of kitchen cabinet

posted Mar 22, 2014 09:23 AM
Looking for advice on how to repair a cabinet that has been discolored by water (splashing from the sink onto the cabinet). I've read about kits like Restorz-it and Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations. Has anyone had any luck with either of these?

There is also one other area where the cabinet finish is flaking (from heavy use of a handle).

They key for me is I just want to repair two areas, I'm not looking to refinish all the cabinets. So matching color is pretty important.

Pictures attached.
Name:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 1500
Size:  27.4 KBName:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  20.6 KB
Would love any advice.

Thanks!

Old 03-22-14, 05:06 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
All of that damage is from water. You will have a very difficult time matching the color on this. The old finish needs to be completely removed. The drawers front is a bit easier because you can refinish the two doors underneath to have them better match each other. However, getting them to match the rest with be a challenge.

Old 03-23-14, 04:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Sometimes you can wipe a stain slightly lighter than the rest over those areas and get it looking somewhat nice but droo is right, the only good way to fix it is to strip off the existing finish and apply new stain and poly. In the future, a light sanding and fresh coat of poly before it gets that bad will extend the life of the finish.

Old 03-23-14, 08:11 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
There really should be a backsplash to the right of the sink. That wood is too close. And for the drawer front, dry it off when you are done splashing around.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: