Afraid of stain bleeding when staining a bar made of oak and birch.

Old 03-23-14, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Afraid of stain bleeding when staining a bar made of oak and birch.

I am going to be staining a bar made of birch plywood and oak trim. I would like to keep the birch a very light or natural color. The top of the bar was made using a hollow core door. It already has what appears (appears to me) to be birch with some type of clear coat. The panels are birch plywood. The trim is oak. I want the oak to be stained with a darker finish. How do I keep the darker stain from the oak from bleeding into the birch plywood? Would it help if I used polyurethane on the plywood prior to staining the oak? Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-14, 12:51 PM
Yes, it will. I would put 2 coats of the poly on, then stain the oak. Apply 2 coats of poly to the oak. Then apply a 3rd to everything. You should still be as careful as possible with the stain, but having the poly on the birch will allow you to scuff sand any stain that you get on it off.

Old 03-23-14, 01:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 137 Votes on 122 Posts
I agree, stain [or not] and poly, sand, poly everything you want to be light. When you stain the rest any stain that gets on the poly can easily be wiped off while wet. I would not rely on tape to keep stain off of anything!

Old 03-23-14, 08:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'd be staining each one before assembly, then there's no way to get the stain on the different woods.
You do realize that is going to be one weak surface, drop something on it and it's going to be damaged and unrepairable.
Far better to use Birch cabinet grade plywood.