Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Hardware, Tools, Wood & Metal Working, Home & Business Security > Furniture, Wood and Cabinetry Finishing
Reload this Page >

Composite question, how would I replicate a same or similar result of this photo

Composite question, how would I replicate a same or similar result of this photo

Old 03-26-14, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Composite question, how would I replicate a same or similar result of this photo

The specs just show the material as 'composite' for the table and bench tops shown in this photo. What would you experts out there guess the material to be? And how do you think the mold and shape is achieved? Would it be possible to achieve the same in an affordable way or would it cost thousands using special machines and processes? I don't know the exact material or composition so I apologize for lack of detail, I just know the tops are very heavy and dense; A table that is 30"x35" and unknown thickness (with legs- don't have a stand-alone weight) is 230lbs. Would this be an injection mold process that would cost a lot to do? Or can something similar be achieved affordabely?

Thanks very much for any help!!!

Here is the photo: http://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2007/02...njitable01.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-14, 05:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Composite could mean it is a plastic like material compressed under heat and formed. Or it could be cast concrete, although it would require more support than that. I doubt it is a wood product unless it is protected by an outer impermeable layer.

Old 03-26-14, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A local company that does injection molding just got back to me. They said "This wouldn’t be an injected molded part unless they were quite small. these are often a laminated plastic sheet or coating."

Good news I suppose. Hopefully they can make these for me.