Wooden Table with Espresso Finish - Stain coming off

Old 04-08-14, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone - I am new to the forums so not sure about any protocols around asking questions, but am hoping to get some quick help.

I have a solid wood table with dark espresso finish and the stain at certain places is coming off. Also, the areas where the stain is coming off is rougher than the other areas.

I was using the stain pen to cover these up but it doesn't hold for long. Here is my predicament.
- Should i be staining the table ?
- I am not sure if i need to use a sand paper to smoothen these areas before staining or should stain directly (the table is EXPENSIVE so i want to be cautious)
- Also should i be staining the entire table or just the affected area.
- How would i get the right stain color for the table ?

I am attaching 2 pictures so that you guys could see the problem. Would really appreciate any help/advice.

Thanks
Sam

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-14, 05:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
Welcome to the forums Sam!

Probably the simplest fix would be to wipe stain on the top and wiping it all back off, that should leave the stain just on the nicks. Then sand lightly with 220 grit and apply a coat of poly.

Old 04-09-14, 06:13 AM
Did you finish this or did you buy it at a furniture store?

Old 04-09-14, 09:27 AM
I bought it at a furniture store.

Sad part - I have the UV3masterguard protection but they wont cover it saying that you did not report it within 30 days which is not true. UV3masterguard are a bunch of thieves...

Old 04-09-14, 09:34 AM
Hi Marksr - Thanks for your reply.

Do you mean something like shown in this video ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8bmPoiOT9A

So if i understand your correctly..
Step 1 - Clean the table
Step 2 - Wipe Stain it (with the right color) - Wait for a day (I read it online somewhere)
Step 3 - Add a coat of Poly ( Using a brush ?)

Would appreciate if you could confirm. Also, if you happen to have some instructional videos which can help, would be great if you could post them as well.

Thanks again

Sam

Old 04-09-14, 10:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
The video is more or less correct although I'm not fond of applying a 2nd coat of stain [it doesn't absorb or dry well] and I didn't see her apply any poly. New wood generally requires 3 coats of poly sanding and removing the dust between coats. I usually just use an old rag, T shirt material works best.

When you clean the table you want to remove any/all wax/polish and the cleaner's residue. While often it's best to let the stain dry for 24 hrs, for what you are doing a few hrs should be fine [longer doesn't hurt] Using a natural bristle brush and maybe thinning the poly slightly should give you a nice finish.

Generally oil base poly is compatible with most factory finishes but it's always a good idea to test a small hidden area just to make sure.

Old 04-23-14, 05:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

Mix a gentle abrasive made from cold cigarette ashes and a few drops of mineral oil. Rub this mixture with the grain of the wood to remove the stain. Wipe the area clean. If the stain disappears, wax the furniture piece.