can't remove hardware

Old 04-16-14, 03:13 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry can't remove hardware

I am attempting to remove the drawer pulls from my dresser so I can start my project. I have removed the screw from the back of the handle but it appears like the wooden handle has been painted after it was attached and/or is glued on. Even after removing the screw it will not budge. I have tried cutting around the handle with a razor but still nothing. Any suggestions short of breaking it off with hammer? Thank you!

Attached Images  
Old 04-16-14, 04:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 558 Votes on 498 Posts
If you can't turn it off then I suspect you're right about it being glued. The best thing to do it cut it off leaving about a 1/16 extended that you can sand smooth then paint and re-drill the hole for a new pull. Even if it's glued you might be be able to drill it out, but it could get messy.

Old 04-16-14, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
You might re-insert the screw and tap on it from inside...or use an appropriate size dowel or punch. Dried paint can be as bad as glue sometimes.

Old 04-17-14, 04:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 598 Votes on 531 Posts
I doubt glue also although anything's possible. I'd do like Vic suggested! Might be a good idea to take a utility knife and cut the paint bond all the around the pull.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: