My stain is to dark help

Old 04-26-14, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My stain is to dark help

Hi I bought minwax ipswitch pine stain, did a sample on my spruce [email protected] and looked good started applying it to my walls and its at least 3 times darker than my sample piece? I forgot I had sanded the walls and not my sample piece so I had wanted a slight colour a few shades darker than natural pine and got really brown walls other than sanding it all down again is there anything i can apply over top to lighen it a couple shades? and iv read I can add minwax natural to cut the colour for the other rooms anybody have an idea of ratio? TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-14, 02:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
There isn't much you can do to lighten wood that is already stained [other than sand it off] although once several coats of poly/varnish are applied it will reflect light better and not appear to be as dark. You might be able to take a rag wet with paint thinner and scrub the stained wood to remove some of the stain. You can intermix stains as long as they are all the same base [oil with oil base, water with waterbased] It's hard to say what ratio will give you the look you desire, best bet is to experiment on scrap wood.

Old 04-26-14, 03:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did you apply a conditioner before the stain.
Need to do that with soft woods or you'll end up with a dark blotchy finish.
No way to go lighter once it's to dark without sanding back to bare wood.

Old 04-26-14, 03:27 PM
thanks I had actually used the conditioner when i made a sample half with half without and there was absolutely no difference in how the two sides looked? and the cost of buying that much pre stain conditioner for the whole house is insane, i will just poly this one room and hope for the best and try cutting the colour some before i do more thanks

Old 04-27-14, 04:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
The main reason for using a wood conditioner is so the wood will take the stain more evenly. Soft woods like pine tend to have both soft and hard areas. The soft areas will absorb more stain [darker] than the hard areas. The conditioner slightly seals the wood to prevent the color variations and also results in a lighter color than it would be with unconditioned wood. I've stained a lot of pine without using wood conditioner. Basically it boils down to the look the customer wants. You can make your own conditioner by thinning sanding sealer or varnish about 50%, I've never tried it with poly.

Usually it takes 3 coats of poly or varnish to get a nice finish, sanding [and removing dust] lightly between coats. I'd apply a coat of poly or varnish, sand with 150 grit, apply 2nd coat, then sand with 180 or 220 grit before applying the final coat.

Old 04-27-14, 07:34 AM
ok thanks, I actually dont mind the blotchy of it looks really rustic and old which was what i was aming for just darker ill give the thinner a try and see if i can rub some of it off and than do the poly as suggested, ill try making my own conditioner on the next room and see if it works better than the one i had purchased