How to restore color of teak table to match it's darker table leaves

Old 05-23-14, 07:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to restore color of teak table to match it's darker table leaves

I recently received a solid teak indoor dining table in reasonably good shape. But the tabletop is now lighter than it's two leaves, which of course have seen less light over the years. I was thinking of using Formby's refinisher and then applying tung oil finish afterwards but I'm not sure this will restore the tabletop to it's original darker color. Would I be better off sanding the whole tabletop down to restore the original color, so it more closely matches the leaves? I might want to lightly sand a few scratches out as well. If sanding, would I still use the refinisher before or after? I plan to apply teak or tung oil when finished. I'm pretty sure that's what's on the table now.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-14, 09:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 169 Votes on 150 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I don't think I've ever refinished any teak
How deep are the scratches? I'd be inclined to try rubbing on some oil first.

Old 05-23-14, 09:16 AM
To get the color to match, sand both the table and the leaves and apply your desired finish. As it appears you already know, you will want to use an oil type of finish. Teak has a lot of natural oil that makes using film finishes like polyurethane undoable.

Old 05-23-14, 04:59 PM
Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Assuming the table has had several coats of teak oil over the years, do you think I need to strip off the finish before sanding? It's finish is not overly thick or sticky--it just feels like a typical teak oil finish.

Old 07-03-14, 05:07 PM
How to knock down the shine to simulate oil rubbed finish?

I just stripped, sanded and refinished a solid teak indoor dining table. I used Homer Formby’s Teak Oil finish (low sheen) and I'm very pleased with the results, except that it's shinier than I would like. I did 3 thin coats in order to provide maximum protection against water marks, etc. and on the 3rd coat it got a lot shinier. Is there a way to knock down the shine a bit so it looks more like a hand rubbed oil finish? Maybe 0000 steel wool? Would I do anything after that?

Also, if I use a product like Forby’s Lemon Oil to keep the finish moisturized, does anyone know if will I need to strip that off before reapplying teak oil finish? This is our formal dining table so it will have light use. I also plan to keep it covered most of the time to keep the tabletop from becoming lighter than the table leaves. Under that scenario do you think I would need to reapply teak oil finish any sooner than maybe 4 or 5 years? I often hear people say to reapply after 2 years. Do you just wait until it looks dried out?

Old 07-05-14, 06:56 PM
I am not familiar with the product you used so I can't answer all of your questions.

I would find a small spot and try to 0000 steel wool. That may give you the look you want.

You don't need to keep finish moisturized. Stay away with the lemon oil and any other type of furniture polish. For general maintenance, I would use a damp cloth to clean and then dry it. If you take care of the table and don't abuse it, the finish should last for many many years. I think the advice of recoating every two years is for exterior applications. I wouldn't recoat unless it looked like it needed it.