Old Craftsman tool chest drawer slides replacement

Old 06-26-14, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old Craftsman tool chest drawer slides replacement

Hi, I'm new to the forum as of today. I found it searching around Google to find an answer with no real luck. So here's my question..
I recently acquired a really old Craftsman tool chest from my girlfriend's grandma (she said I could have whatever tools I wanted before she got rid of them, her husband had passed away a while ago and this stuff has been sitting in the basement for I don't know how long).
I have no idea how old it is, I can't find a model number or anything of the sort anywhere on it, only the Craftsman logo on the front of the pull-down part.
How do I get the drawers out to clean it better (like I said, been sitting in a basement for I don't even know how long) and also take the sliders off (a couple are bent). The sliders don't have any tabs on them like everywhere I've read states, at least that I can see.
I did manage to get the drawers out, I don't know if it was the right way though. I was pulling the drawer with the bent slider to get it all the way out, and it came out totally when I gave it a yank, so I did the rest of them, but there are 2 sliders I can't get out of the cabinet.
I attached a few pictures here too.

Thanks for any input, it's greatly appreciated!

Attached Images      
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-14, 08:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
On the front of the slider the black tab lifts out and the drawer will come out. I lift the tab and turn it out of the slot so drawer will come out and leave it that way till I am ready to install. Drawer will slide past tab to install. Looks like one I have 30 to 40 years old.

Old 06-26-14, 08:33 PM
That tab that would be facing the side of the drawer or the side of the cabinet? (depending on which side you're looking at).
Any idea about replacements? I'm having troubling finding ones that are the same length. They're 15.5 inches long.

Old 06-26-14, 08:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
I'll look for a model # on mine but don't remember ever seeing one. Tab on slide with tab pointing in to cabinet. If I can't find a model # go to Sears and look at the one's on the floor. I think some of there lower end one's still use that slide.

Old 06-26-14, 08:50 PM
Ok cool, thanks!
I'll have to stop by there tomorrow after work.

Old 06-30-14, 01:25 PM
So they said they don't carry the slides in the store at my local Sears, but they're online for $3 a pop, but like $9 shipping =/
The slides that are on my chest don't have tabs that turn, and I can't get to the tabs while the slide is in the rail on the drawer or chest. I can only get to the tab on the side of the slide that is out of the rail. So I'm having trouble getting the slides out to replace them, feel kinda dumb about it haha

Old 07-01-14, 08:12 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Hard to tell from the pictures but my dad had a toolbox like that & you released the tab by sliding a thin screwdriver in the end of the slide & depress the tab til you get past the little slot that catches on it.

Most modern slides are different & are released without tools.

Old 07-08-14, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by pugsl View Post
I'll look for a model # on mine but don't remember ever seeing one. Tab on slide with tab pointing in to cabinet. If I can't find a model # go to Sears and look at the one's on the floor. I think some of there lower end one's still use that slide.
Did you happen to get a chance to see if yours has a model number? Waterloo Industries doesn't have the correct size slides and Sears needs a model number to find and order parts.