Removing DARK wood stain

Old 03-13-01, 05:25 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

This is not about furniture-however i do NEED SOME RFINISHING ADVICE .
My wife and I are buying a home that was built in 1910- the ceiling in the LIVING ROOM (17'X30')is exposed beams 6x6" (smooth not rough hewn but not finished) between which can be seen the cross strips of the upstairs' sub floor.
It has been over- stained a dark walnut and has an opaque chocolate brown appearance that I want to remove.
I cannot belt sand as these are suppot beams and i do not want to damage any of the structural integrity by removing wood. I do not necessarily want to take it down to bare wood; howeve, I do want to lighten it and bring back the grain. Is there a product or technique which will remove most of the stain to leave an even, professional-looking result?

Old 03-13-01, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Johnny:

Considering the location of your project anything I suggest is going to be a little messy (but you probably knew that).

I can understand your concern, but sanding IS a viable alternative. The total amount you might remove (even with a belt sander) would probably be less than 1/4" total - not enough to affect the structural integrity.

Alternatively, a 2 part bleach from your local home center MIGHT lighten these beams, but I tend to doubt it.

A third alternative would be sand blasting - really messy, but done with a fine grit would remove even less wood than sanding.

Last but not least - paint.

Old 03-14-01, 05:21 PM
Visiting Guest
dark beams

thank you for the help
What do you think about stripping, then bleaching the beams (I am trying anything possible to avoid holdig a belt sander over my head)
and what brands might you reccomend?
Thanks again

John

Old 03-14-01, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Johnny:

Strippers normally don't do much, if anything with stain - they're for removing finish. They opaque stain sounds like an exterior siding stain. These come in either transparent, semi-transparent, or opaque. A stripper MIGHT remove some of that.

My favorite is Strypeeze by savogran. It's asemi paste, clings to vertical surfaces, and is easier to handle than a pure liquid. The down side is it's slower acting than many liquids, but it does work.

There are proponents of PeelAway as well, which from what I've heard would be easier to use. I have no personal experience with this product except gallon for gallon, it's much more expensive.

Whatever you use, bleach will probably be the solution (no pun intended) to get the beams where you want them (color wise).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: