Top for a new desk

Old 07-19-14, 11:42 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Top for a new desk

I have built a frame for a desk, 64"x26", and I need the top. I am looking for something smooth and inexpensive. I don't live near IKEA, but I do live near Lowe's and Home Depot. I don't have access to a saw, sander, or any other major power tools except a drill. Looking for something

Old 07-19-14, 12:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 672 Votes on 595 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I didn't have the money for oak so I used luan on my desk top and then stained it and apply 3 coats of poly ..... but I have saws and sanders. Standard formica countertops are less than 26" wide. I'm not sure a $50 top is doable without any tools. Could you borrow tools? maybe get a woodworking friend to help?

Old 07-19-14, 01:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Yeah, we don't have too many IKEA's in Georgia, but HD and Lowes on every corner

I would opt for a good Sandeply or other cabinet grade plywood either in oak, birch or pine, depending on what your built your carcass out of. However, to cut the band boards to dress it up, you will need a saw. 1x2's in matching lumber will hide the edges of the plywood. You can hand sand it to a smooth finish by sanding with the grain with a 220 grit paper. The people at the box stores can cut the plywood for you to size if you talk nice. Plywood will cost about $35 or so in 3/4".

How did you build the frame without a saw? Just curious.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: