repairing springs in a rocking chair

Old 03-15-01, 11:31 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi there everyone....I have a very old rocker at home that is in need of some TLC that I bought at a garage sale but it needs some springs replaced. The previous owners gave me the new springs to put in but I have no idea how to get them to stay in place. The under area is very hard to access with a hammer and even if I could wouldn't the weight of a person only cause the nails to be pried out from use? What are my options besides having a professional do it for me? Other than that the chair is in great shape and willthen be ready for reupholstering. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-15-01, 04:57 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Jan:

I'd be prone to use screws, assuming you have access to a drill and driver bit. Used with a magnetic head, this tool will allow you to place the screw where you want it with one hand, leaving the other free to hold the parts where you want them.

Not having done a tremendous amount ofwork in this area, however, I'm making another suggestion. Visit the website listed below. They have a forum on upholstery with dozens of professionals.

http://www.antiquerestorers.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: