What would you do with this monstrosity of an apron sink install?

Old 10-03-14, 08:59 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What would you do with this monstrosity of an apron sink install?

Just bought this house in San Diego CA, and the previous owners did a wacky way of installing the sink. underneath, the sink is supported properly, but i'm kind of scratching my head on how to make the front of this look nice (besides adding the cabinet doors below they missed on.

Any Ideas?

Name:  IMG_2253.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  29.9 KB

Old 10-03-14, 09:35 AM
Welcome.

You could cover the top area around sink with thin wood, maple or luan.

You would have to make a template as accurately as you can. I can give you a few tips on that if needed.

Hopefully you still have the lower doors?

This is a poor example of a sink install but you can make it look better.

Attachment 39308

Old 10-03-14, 11:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 598 Posts
I agree with Brian. Matching the stain shouldn't be a big deal but if you don't have the original doors it might take some effort to fine the same style either finished to match or unfinished so you can match the stain.

Old 10-03-14, 02:31 PM
M
Thanks for the idea, that seems like it would be very doable. Unfortunately I do not have the cabinet doors, they didnt leave them with the house. One good thing is I am likely going to sand and paint all the cabinets so matching wont be an issue, but the style sure would be.

I looked into refinishing all the cabinets since they arent in the greatest of shape, but the cost of that was about 15k. I'm sure I can figure out something I can do myself for much less money.

Any help with figuring out how to make a template would be great btw. I'm a handy guy but I've never really done woodworking before.

Old 10-03-14, 02:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 598 Posts
You can make a template out of cardboard. If you paint the cabinets you'll need to clean, sand and coat them with a solvent based primer to insure that the paint will adhere well. Chemically stripping and refinishing the cabinets can be a diy job.

Old 10-03-14, 02:58 PM
Here's a good door source:

Cabinet Doors - DIY Cabinet Refacing Supplies | How To Reface Kitchen Cabinets @ Cabinet Doors Depot

I don't know if you like the look, but you could go with all new RTF Doors (Rigid Thermo Foil)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: