Strong glue for plastic chair?

Old 11-18-14, 06:16 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Strong glue for plastic chair?

A few days ago two of my drunk friends were being idiots broke one of my chairs. The chair is made of plastic and has this fancy design which is the reason it broke. Hard to explain so I will post a picture.

So I wanted to ask if anyone here knows how I could fix this huge crack? Obviously I need some very strong glue but what kind would be suitable for this?

Here is a picture of the chair:

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-14, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Depends on the actual material....but either PVC (Pipe) glue or some sort of epoxy for plastic. Won't look great no matter what you use. Doubt I'd ever really trust it again. The design seems to put a lot of stress on that one area.

Old 11-18-14, 06:40 AM
B
Received 33 Votes on 30 Posts
I frequently had to repair the plastic parts for office machines and as GG said, it really matters what the base material is. PVC cement/solvent actually dissolves the pvs and then they weld/melt together as they dry. Glues on the other hand rely on sticking to the surface and although I'm sure there are some that would hold, it would be trial and error.

Looking at the crack my first thought was to put something behind it to reinforce the break, whether you use a solvent or glue. I would also test in a location no one can see.

Bud

Old 11-18-14, 11:02 AM
N
Yeah I know it won't be soo strong but for me it's worth a try. Anyway I checked and the material is 100% Polypropylene.

Any idea what glue would be good for this? And also not damage the appearance too much?

Old 11-18-14, 11:33 AM
B
I haven't used anything specific for Polypropylene but a quick search turned up lots of suggestions. Looks like some might not fit my wallet or willingness. Maybe yours .

Bud

Old 11-18-14, 11:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 50 Votes on 46 Posts
Found this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvMkpPiLmG4
Google Polypropylene repair

Old 11-18-14, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 90 Votes on 70 Posts
If you do a google search, you'll find Loctite Supergle or plastics bonding system works well, but it's been my experience that unless you're just going to look at it, nothing will make it become one piece again, that someone could actually sit in it without breaking it again.
I'd ask them to pay for a new one and toss the broken one. It'll never be the same.

Old 11-18-14, 12:40 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 203 Votes on 180 Posts
it's been my experience that unless you're just going to look at it, nothing will make it become one piece again, that someone could actually sit in it without breaking it again.
That's why it's important to also glue a patch to the backside to reinforce it! I like the idea of getting the offender to pay for a replacement

Old 11-18-14, 12:47 PM
B
I agree with Shadeladie in that a glue will never restore the crack to its original strength. Given the convoluted shape it would be difficult but not impossible to create a metal backing for strength and then glue the crack and backing all together at once.

Bottom line is it will cost more in time and effort to end up with something that people shouldn't sit on. Time to go shopping for a new chair.

Bud

Old 11-19-14, 05:10 AM
N
The problem is every time I google all the results are written by the company that makes the glue, so not very trustable. Especially the videos, every single one ive seen on youtube is created by a professional company to promote their product... :/

My idea was to first to try and get it looking good, and then if that works ill think about reinforcing it. Problem is I've never tried repairing any large plastic object before.

Old 11-19-14, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 90 Votes on 70 Posts
if that works ill think about reinforcing it
I'm sticking to my story! Plastic is plastic and just not repairable like metals and wood. No matter what you do to it, it's not going to hold out for long.
I don't understand why you won't hold your friends responsible.

Old 11-19-14, 12:25 PM
D
There are plenty of glues that will work for plastic. It's a matter of finding the correct one. However, your particular application may not be an ideal situation to use glue. Try it, you have nothing to lose. Your chair is already trash.