How do I remove black rings from oak?

Old 11-25-14, 03:48 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How do I remove black rings from oak?

I acquired an old dresser, not an antique, just old. It has black rings on the top of it. I would like to refinish it, but try to keep as much of the old look to it as possible. I've read that bleach or deck cleaner will remove them. I've already sanded the old shellac off. I had hoped the black marks would go with it, no such luck.
Normally I would hit it with a sander and take the surface down but I'm not sure how deep they run.

Old 11-25-14, 03:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,975 Upvotes on 1,771 Posts
You would want to try oxalic acid. But its doubtful that it will take all the black out.

Here's a video. Notice he is using it on "tannin stains" which is probably easier to remove than a water mark or an ammonia or iron stain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTHiqtdZMMI

Old 11-25-14, 04:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 71 Posts
xsleeper beat me to it. several hits when googled black rings in oak. here's one
repair - How do I remove black rings on a wood kitchen top formed by a tin can? - Home Improvement Stack Exchange

Old 11-25-14, 04:10 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Black stains on oak are usually a reaction if the tannic acid found in oak to iron -- either in the water or from a wet can for example. Oxalic acid will bleach all the natural color as well as the stain and then you can re-stain to match the rest of the piece.

Old 11-29-14, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My thanks to all, was out of town for Thanksgiving. The Oxalic acid sounds like the route to take. Never thought about Googling it
I did mix up some stain this afternoon when we got home. I can test it out on the back where it won't show up so much if I have to adjust the color.
Thanks again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: