Problem with stain - please help

Old 04-08-15, 10:12 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Problem with stain - please help

Hey, I built a coffee table with pine lumber. Sanded and stained. Looked good.

While the stain was drying, my 3 year old son, dumped the rest of the stain on the table in random fashion. It did not come to my attention for a couple hours and it was already partially dried in a caked on fashion. I wiped what I could and tried sanding it down. The worst is removed, but it is far from uniform now and there are little "flecks" of dark stain in the wood where he spilled it.

Is there any hope from staining and resanding or should I just redo the table-top? Any help appreciated.

Old 04-08-15, 10:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
Welcome to the forums Nate!

hard to say without seeing it - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Sometimes a thinner soaked rag is helpful to 'scrub' up the excess, somewhat dried stain. Since it's solid wood you should be able to sand it down to clean wood.

Old 04-08-15, 10:53 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I will work on pictures, but it will be later on today/this evening. So maybe just keep sanding away will end up working out... Thanks for the advice.

Old 04-08-15, 03:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,975 Upvotes on 1,771 Posts
You can also apply more stain (using it as the solvent instead of paint thinner) and then "wet sand" it with a piece of 180 or 220 grit sandpaper or fine sanding sponge.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: