What kind of stapler to make shipping boxes?

Old 05-05-15, 04:13 PM
A
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
What kind of stapler to make shipping boxes?

Hey guys, what kind of stapler do they use to close the wall/corner of a shipping cardboard box? Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. I tried one of those manual closing staplers, but I find it difficult to use for this type of application where you need one layer of cardboard on top of another. I think those closing staplers are mainly for closing the tops or the bottoms by pulling to sides together. To stapler two layers of thick cardboard, should I simply buy a tackler?

Name:  stapler.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  17.4 KB

Old 05-06-15, 05:05 AM
Received 727 Upvotes on 643 Posts
What you want is a
Bostitch P51-10B stapler around $400+ bucks. Do a Google search "box corner staplers".

Why not use glue instead?

Old 05-06-15, 05:20 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,218 Upvotes on 1,980 Posts
I use a pneumatic stapler in my warehouse. Pneumatic ones work better especially if the cardboard does not have back support. The arms of the stapler have to pierce the cardboard and get around the back side of the staples to bend the legs of the staple over. A manual stapler requires you to push down and as you actuate it and unsupported layers of cardboard can just bend out of the way. A pneumatic moves really fast and the arms quickly poke through the cardboard like a bullet and the staple is crimped before the cardboard can move out of the way.

Old 05-07-15, 03:39 AM
A
Man, that Bostitch looks cool, but I don't do enough boxes to justify that. At $100, I though the manual stapler was overkill, but I'll be returning that too since it didn't function as I'd hope. Ideally, I guess what I want is a long reach/deep throat heavy duty stapler. It has to be long reaching and uses thick staplers, not the kind for papers. Is there such thing?

Old 05-07-15, 03:44 AM
A
Hi Pilot, what you described is exactly what I'm experiencing. I guess it's simply physics. It's best for clinching to sides together, but you cannot staple double layers, as the second layer simply runs away as you described. I guess you can if you press it against a hard surface, but I wonder if that will do damage to the, I don't know the lingo... teeth, clincher jaws?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: