Attaching keyboard tray to the desk

Old 06-02-15, 09:39 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Attaching keyboard tray to the desk

I never use the keyboard tray that is attached to my computer desk. Its a flat keyboard tray. I would like to know if there is a way that i can add the keyboard tray to the main computer desk top, thus extending the length of the table. I was thinking that i can drill drop leaf hinges and connect the keyboard tray to the rest of the desk. The width of the table top is 30 inches and the width of the keyboard tray is 27 inches, so i know it won't be a perfect fit width wise but nonetheless i could definitely use that extra extension. Is this possible? The wood is half an inch thick. I would appreciate any ideas and tips

Name:  desk-attachment.jpg
Views: 1707
Size:  35.1 KB

Old 06-03-15, 03:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You won't have any strength for the front of the extension. Old typewriter tables (1960's) had a pull out typewriter shelf when pulled out, would raise to a usable height, but it contained a bunch of heavy springs and was unwieldy. Having the side slides you have mounted almost to the top of the walls, would make the shelf within 1" or so from being level with the existing table top and give needed support. It won't be level with the desk. Besides having a 5' desktop will make reaching things in the back almost impossible.

Old 06-03-15, 11:23 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You can make the drop leaf and it will be flush with desk top. It's not easy.

The hinges need to be recessed from below. The hinge pivot point needs to be aligned accurately, the hinges come with instructions.
When leaf is raised, it needs support. See below link for both hinges and supports.

I would not advise this technique. When leaf is dropped, there's no leg room, defeating the purpose of having a drop leaf. I would consider building a new desk top to your desired dimensions.

Metal Drop Leaf Support - Pair - Rockler Woodworking Tools

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: