Home made Table Saw

Old 06-12-15, 07:51 AM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Home made Table Saw

Ok so im making a 3 in 1 router/saw/workbench. The table saw will be my 7 1/4 circular mounted underneath of the 3/4 plywood top. Problem is that doesnt leave me much in the way of blade depth above table. If i were to take the guard off and throw a 8 1/4 blade on the saw, or possibly create a chain driven blade using the old saw motor, would it work just as well or will the slight drop in rpm make a huge difference?

Old 06-12-15, 09:13 AM
Received 729 Upvotes on 644 Posts
IMHO, Don't! It's not worth it. Your home made table saw will not have the necessary safety features nor the flexibility that a true table saw will. I did this many years go and found out it was a hazard or not able to do what I wanted. There are inexpensive table saws. Wait till Xmas time and Sears will have some great sales.

Old 06-12-15, 09:39 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
We are in the age of baby boomers and old goats passing on and there are often yard sales or online used saws available. There are millions of them out there and even used will be better and safer for what you want.

However, I am a big fan of a functional work table. Having side and length area for big pieces of wood just makes the work process much easier.

I picked up one of the portable table saws a few years ago and although it is small, the ability to fold it and put it away or toss it in the back of my vehicle has been great. In my yard I have other tables that match the height for bigger wood.

Bud

Old 06-12-15, 09:42 AM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Good point. ill just stick to clamping a straight edge on my plywood for perfect cuts for now lol. Thank you.

One more thing, if i were to be able to get an 8 1/4 to fit by grinding out some of the housing and guard, would the 1" bigger blade (although i only need to make room for a 1/2") cause very much performance loss?

Old 06-12-15, 09:49 AM
Received 729 Upvotes on 644 Posts
Again, a safety issue and a strain on the motor. It may not seem like much but retrofitting a bigger blade will reduce efficiency and motor ability. Over heating would be the biggest factor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: