Painting Solid Oak Tables Revisited and Re-refinished

Old 06-16-15, 04:46 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Painting Solid Oak Tables Revisited and Re-refinished

Four years ago, almost to the day, I started a thread in which I asked some questions regarding painting solid oak tables and how to go about achieving a smooth finish and hiding the grain. That thread is located here:
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/fu...ns-needed.html

Since that time, those tables were used in my daughter's apartment for 3 years and came back to me when she moved and decided to go with a completely different style and decor. My youngest daughter has now come of age, gotten married and is furnishing her apartment and wanted to use those tables but wanted them to be painted deep brown espresso.
Additionally, she had some other pieces she had picked up which she wanted painted to match. One of these pieces was an oak corner breakfast nook which was done in a med oak finish with some sort of clear top coat. The only part of the nook she was concerned with achieving a smooth-as-glass finish was the table. She didn't want to see any grain.

Back in 2011 when I took on the project of painting the tables, I experimented with various grain fillers but never quite achieved that uber-smooth, no grain finish. Since then I discovered and have used quite successfully a product called TimberMate wood and grain filler and I have to tell you this stuff is incredible. It comes in various tints and can be used on pretty much anything. I'll let you do your own research and watch some videos to form your own opinion but I will tell you I was able to get the glasas-like finish I wanted. I used the unpigmented paste since I was painting over it anyway. For use as a grain filler, you simply thin it using water to the consistency you need, brush or spread it over the entire piece, scrape off the excess and let it dry. Sand the piece to a smooth finish and then apply your base coat.
I was amazed at how easy and versatile this product was to use.
I just wanted to follow up to my original thread since I didn't achieve what I set out to originally and since then found the product that allowed those results.

Steve

Old 06-17-15, 05:11 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would go along with the grain filler that Mark mentioned
The above quote from previous thread shows that 2 people recommended a paste wood filler, which is what you used to achieve your desired results.
For those unfamiliar with paste wood filler, there are several brands. Jasco and Bartley's are probably most popular. The filler will fill the pores of open pore wood such as Oak, Mahogany and Walnut.

Applied and finished correctly, not only can you get a "glass finish", you can get a mirror finish. The mirror finish is called a French Rub and takes many, many coats of shellac hand rubbed into surface.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: