Lacquer Finish

Old 04-03-01, 10:40 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Hi,
I am in the (long) process of refinishing my kitchen cabinets. I have stripped, sanded, repainted, and now I am trying to add a protective finish. Here is the problem, I was advised to use lacquer as a finish...and I cannot for my life get a smooth finish using a brush.I have since read that lacquer is on of the hardest finishes to apply correctly. I am wondering how to salvage my project at this point! Can I thin the lacquer for an easier application? Would it be possible to sand the lacquer and then apply a different type of finish? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated, as I am about to the end of my "beginners" rope!

Old 04-03-01, 03:14 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
MrsBSparkles:

First, the bad news. You may regret using lacquer - unless the cabinets are fairly darkly painted, you'll notice a yellowing of teh color within a year.

Now the good news - you can do what I do, cheat! Sand the finish smooth with 400 grit wet/dry paper and use an aerosol lacquer for a final coat.

Yes, you'll have to mask off a little, but it's going to save a lot of time and heartache

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: