strip/restore mahogany

Old 04-03-01, 10:26 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have an old mahogany headboard that was painted. I want to strip off the paint and restore the original color of the wood. I don't want a glossy finish, and I don't mind small nicks or scratches. What should I use to remove the paint? Is there anything I should look out for - discoloration or signs of damage? How do I properly seal and protect the wood afterwards?

Old 04-03-01, 04:38 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Any paint/varnish remover will do the trick. Some are better than others. There's one member of the DIY community in particular who swears by Peel Away 7 - best thing since sliced bread. Since I haven't used it, I don't know.

Lacquer, varnish, polyurethane -all are possibilities as to finish. After stripping, wipe the piece down with a rag wet with lacquer thinner - thsi will show you the color you get with a clear finish applied without stain. If you like what you see, a clear finish is all that's needed.

Old 04-07-01, 10:25 AM
hy
Visiting Guest
PEEL AWAY 7 for stripping mahogany wood

I am the resident PEEL AWAY expert. Be pleased to send George a sample so he can do his own tests. the product will work extremely well on your project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: