Best glue for a wooden planter box (waterproof?)

Old 11-21-15, 11:31 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Best glue for a wooden planter box (waterproof?)

I'm building an outdoor wooden planterbox out of plywood and 1x4 pine. I just started gluing up some pieces with elmer's carpenter glue, but realized this is probably not going to work since it will be filled with wet dirt constantly.

I have read that titebond III is waterproof. Will it hold up through the moisture, or do I have to use screws instead?

thank you.

Old 11-22-15, 02:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Titebond III is water proof, but I doubt the glue will hold up to the weight issue pressing on the sides with all that dirt. You will obviously need some sort of mechanical fastener to hold it all together. Titebond III and screws will work well. Plywood and pine won't. You should try and find dimensional lumber rather than plywood for outdoor use. What are the dimensions of the planter?

Old 11-22-15, 04:34 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,261 Upvotes on 2,014 Posts
I agree about the wood you've chosen. It might last for a few seasons but common plywood is not the best choice for long life.

I like using Gorilla Glue. It's waterproof and very strong. It foams and expands as it cures so it's good if your joints are not perfect as it will expand to fill the gaps.

Old 11-22-15, 04:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 868 Upvotes on 759 Posts
Also the wood will last longer if you have some sort of liner in the planter box. Wood that has direct contact with soil never ends well.

Old 11-22-15, 10:06 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm only using the plywood on the end pieces since it's what I had but I could probably find something else to use. And I'll buy some of the glue suggested today.

The dimensions are approximately 35x10x5. It's a long & narrow planter to go along side a railing. Since it's pretty shallow do you think the weight will still be an issue?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: