How to frame walls/cubby shelves in existing spaces

Old 12-07-15, 03:52 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to frame walls/cubby shelves in existing spaces

Hi everyone, I have two projects that require the same basic strategy going in my head and I need to translate it to actual building but not sure how. I have one of those older, solid wood entertainment curio cabinets with a deep alcove built for CRT tv's that I want to modify to accommodate a flat screen and all the peripherals. The tv currently sits on a table top stand and sits farther back in the alcove then I want and wires and cables are all visible in a big empty space with just two shelves for peripherals hanging from the top. My plan is to build a wall in the middle of the alcove that can support an arm mount and essentially "float" the tv flush in the front of the opening and put a matching stained thin ply wood cover with magnets on the front with a hole cut out for the screen and center channel to seal off the space. In addition to making it accessible when necessary, if we upgrade the size of the TV or speaker, I really only need to change a small piece on the front without impacting the rest of the set-up. I also want to remove the existing shelves and turn the top half of the alcove into a few different cubby shelves so I can pass the wires and cables down the back and behind the new mounting wall. I don't understand how to add walls and shelves when there is a large existing square space. How do I start, and how would you do it? I have some wood working experience but it's limited. My other project is essentially the same in that I want to divide two large open square spaces on either side of my wood stove into more usable partitioned spaces.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  40.8 KB
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  32.3 KB

Last edited by docsuess84; 12-07-15 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Adding Photos
Old 12-08-15, 05:38 AM
W
Received 66 Upvotes on 57 Posts
Tv

Where is the tv? Hard to see.

Old 12-08-15, 06:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,979 Upvotes on 1,774 Posts
Why not build a cabinet the way you want it and insert it into the "alcove"? Face frame would overlap onto the walls like trim.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: