Resurface Foosball Table - Good 'Bones' (Composite/Particle board)

Old 02-26-16, 11:50 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Resurface Foosball Table - Good 'Bones' (Composite/Particle board)

Hey guys, was looking to try a new type of project. My neighbor was giving away a Foosball Table. All the parts (playing surface, 'players' and rods, etc.) are in perfectly good condition. I want to strip or cut out the 'problem' areas and paint or resurface the whole thing (whatever is 'do-able')

The table/cabinet and the legs are solid. But, the Veneer is peeling/warping/'bunching up' (mostly around where the bolts/washers 'sat' in the threads)

I wanted to know if this is feasible? Can I paint over the pressed wood/veneer surface? Would I have to strip the whole surface & resurface (I doubt it but wanna know for sure)?

Any suggestions are Totally welcome. I won't be offended if you say 'that's gonna be a lot of work' or 'give it back to your neighbour'

Name:  20160226_134729[1].jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  27.8 KB
Name:  20160226_135331[1].jpg
Views: 984
Size:  16.5 KB

Old 02-26-16, 12:09 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
If you're careful, a little heat might let you loosen the glue so you can move the wood stickers around and get rid of the wrinkles.

Old 02-26-16, 12:13 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 965 Votes on 886 Posts
Many cabinets like that don't have a "veneer". It's more like a vinyl sticker. You can use a heat gun and try to pull and straighten the wrinkled areas but it may wrinkle again unless you are careful when re-installing the bolts. You can also try using an iron. Put a thin, clean cotton rag over the area to prevent the iron from sticking. Start at a low temp and if that doesn't work bump up the temp slightly and try again.

You asked about painting over the surface. Were you referring to the play field or outside of the cabinet?

Old 02-26-16, 03:33 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot Dane View Post
You asked about painting over the surface. Were you referring to the play field or outside of the cabinet?
My main goal is to get it looking good/presentable. I thought if I couldn't fix/salvage the places where the vinyl surface is 'wrinkling' up, then an alternative would be to paint the entire cabinet and legs (all are the same "wood" pattern currently).

The play field and everything else (counters, rods, goals etc) don't have a scratch on them.

Old 02-26-16, 03:34 PM
J
Received 107 Votes on 94 Posts
Just not worth it spending a lot of time or money on, it's not veneer, it's nothing more then what amounts to peel and stick shelving paper over Partical board.
No way is it going to hold paint.
If the top is still flat, just enjoy it.

Old 02-27-16, 04:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 427 Votes on 382 Posts
If you do decide to paint it I'd recommend using a pigmented shellac primer like Zinnser's BIN. It adheres better than most primers and the quick drying is less likely to cause an issue with the 'veneer'

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: