Workshop bench support with limited studs

Old 07-13-16, 05:39 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Workshop bench support with limited studs

Hi all - I finally cleaned out a section of my old barn for my workshop. I am now building a 16ft workbench on one of the walls and constructed 4 8x2 frames out of 2x4s that will be topped with 3/4 plywood. This will give me a top and a shelf underneath.

I've got 4x4s for the front supports and planned to fasten the back to the wall. However when I went to screw them into studs I realized the old barn is timber framed and has very few studs in the wall. The wall board is tongue and groove wood panels.

While I don't think I'll be dancing on this bench I would like to make sure it lasts the next 100 years of possible. Do you think I can get away with thick wood screws into the wall sheathing for the majority of the fasteners since I'll only have a single stud per section to connect to.

If not any suggestions on how to secure to the wall? Adding legs to the back would really kill the design I have going...

Old 07-13-16, 06:05 PM
C
Received 178 Upvotes on 145 Posts
If it's solid wood sheathing it will probably be ok, but a picture would help us possibly suggest alternatives or a better way.

Old 07-13-16, 06:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,119 Upvotes on 3,699 Posts
since I'll only have a single stud per section to connect to.
Is that one wall stud in 8' ?

You're not going to be pulling against the wall. You just need the planking to hold the back of the bench up. I doubt the weight of the bench would shear your screws off.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: