Refinish shellac finish

Old 04-23-01, 08:40 AM
Visiting Guest
I want to refurbish or refinish an old desk. The finish is crazed and the dark finish is worn off in spots. I tried denatured alcohol and found that the finish is shellac and the very dark color seems to be in the finish. My first thought was to remove the finish with steel wool and alcohol. But, I would probably have to stain and I'm concerned about whether I can get all the finish off to get a clean surface to stain. The alcohol seemed to evaporate so fast that the stripping went very slowly. Was this type of finish used on poor woods so that the color in the finish would hide the wood? I've heard of Howard's Restor a Finish. I can't find it at my Home Center. Is Formby's the same? Would this process be better than stripping? In the end, I would like to varnish (old oil based) the peice so that the finish would be more durable. Please help.

Old 04-23-01, 02:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Judy:

Shellac was a universal finish before the introduction of varnish and lacquer, and still finds favor in many areas today.

Many 'crazed' or 'alligatored' shellac finishes can be restored simply by brushing them lightly with a brush dipped in denatured alcohol and shaken partially dry. This method is a lot more economical than any of the finish retorers, and was the method used by the 'old timers' to restore shellac finishes that had deteriorated. But to answer your question directly, I don't use a finish restorer in my shop, so I can't really comment on how good (or bad) they are.

It's not necessary to strip the piece in order to apply standard varnish. If your brushing with alcohol eliminates the cracks, just let the finish dry, sand lightly, and apply the varnish directly over it. Shellac was used for years as the sealer coat under varnish, and is still prefered by many (myself included) today.

Old 04-24-01, 01:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks. I'll try this, but I'm concerned that the worn places will not be covered over or some deep scratches removed.

Old 04-24-01, 02:30 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Judy:

Your first post didn't mention scratches. If they're in the wood, you'll have to strip and deal with them first.

[Edited by George on 04-27-01 at 06:13]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: