Stripping Old Marsh Hoosier

Old 05-04-01, 07:55 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Help! I recently bought and old Marsh Hoosier Cabinet. It is in pretty sad shape with a couple coats of different color paint and primer over what was a beautiful maple cabinet. I would like to strip the cabinet down to the original wood and stain it to match my new kitchen cabinets (when I get them). This is my first big furniture restoration project, and I picked a big one! I have a problem with chemical sensitivity and wonder about the effectiveness of the citrus based strippers vs. the traditional methylene chloride. Also, do you think that I will need two different processes for the stripping? I need to remove two coats of paint, primer, the original stain, and it's protective finish. Worst case scenario, I will just strip it down and repaint it. Any suggestions are much appreciated. I'm a newbie!!

Old 05-04-01, 05:31 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Here's another instance in which I will suggest a product I have heard about, but never used: Peel Away 7. It's touted as being able to remove multiple layers of paint in one application. It contains no Methelene Chloride. For more information you may visit the website of the manufacturer.

http://www.dumondchemicals.com/

But to answer your question - the citrus based strippers work, but much more slowly than the 'standard' strippers. Multiple applications are the rule rather than the exception.

The only other suggestions I would make are:

1- Allocate a specific area for the job that is out of traffic and can remain dedicated to the refinishing task for an indefinite period.

2- Take the piece apart as far as possible.

3- Make any mechanical repairs needed before you start stripping.

4- And last, but not least, the prime requirement for successful furniture work - PATIENCE...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: