painting over lacquer

Old 05-08-01, 10:36 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I would like to paint a piece of pine furniture that currently has a clear lacquered finish. Can I use the water based Kilz over the lacquer followed by a latex paint or should I use oil based products? Which products will provide the nicest finish?

Old 05-08-01, 05:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kim:

The water base KILZ is fine - just remember to sand the piece completely before applying the primer.

Latex paint is OK - but not the most durable. If you'd rather use latex, make it an acrylic latex in semigloss - that has an extra measure of 'wear and tear protection' built into it.

Frankly, this 'old fogey' prefers oil based finishes for durability, but the preference doesn't really take into acount the increasing durability of today's latex products. If I were going to paint a table today I wouldn't be afraid to use a good name brand acrylic latex.

I will point out, however, that most production enamels designed for high abuse situations are either an epoxy or an oil based opaque urethane.

Old 05-08-01, 09:07 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thank you very much George for sharing your knowledge with us. I looked through both my painting and woodworking books but could not find the answers. Your expertise is much appreciated!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: