How to mount medicine cabinet doors with Al frame and mirror

Old 12-29-17, 11:31 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
How to mount medicine cabinet doors with Al frame and mirror

I got these really nice custom medicine cabinet doors - a mirror mounted within Aluminum frame that is just 1/4 inch in the front and 3/4 in the back.
They came without the hinges though and now I need to figure out how to do it.....

I am thinking non-mortise hinges would be best but wonder how to best stabilize the screws within the Al frame....since it is empty inside and really thin....I am afraid that drilling a hole and driving a screw will only work for a few days and then the screw will wear out as there is nothing to hold it firm

I can take a picture if that would help....but looking for suggestions....maybe there are some special hinges I am not aware of...?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-17, 02:56 PM
Received 74 Votes on 69 Posts
I think a piano hinge should be the proper type. But attaching it is the problem. Usually they would be spot welded during assembly.

Old 12-29-17, 03:07 PM
Came up with a hack.....I pre-drilled holes and filled them with JB Weld Epoxy.....then I will drill smaller holes inside those and drive the screw in....Hope the epoxy will hold the screw in.

Old 12-29-17, 04:03 PM
JB Weld is a favorite of mine, but in this case I don't think it's a good fit. JB does well in a static mode but not in a dynamic mode such as swinging hinge. It has a tendency to weaken if flexed.

Old 12-30-17, 08:15 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Would pop rivets work?.....................................

Old 12-30-17, 08:18 PM
pop rivets seem like a good idea but have no tools and nobody to borrow from...also - don't know how small they come....the head can't be wider than 1/4 inch and length wise, no more than an inch

Old 12-31-17, 05:34 AM
This would be great opportunity to buy a pop rivet gun. They are not that expensive and you can chalk it up to part of the project expenses. The rivets come a variety of sizes and materials. You might want to go stainless or white coated. Then a continuous hinge like a piano hinge would be ideal.