Are kitchen cabinet hinge holes universal for replacement?

Old 01-24-18, 07:54 PM
S
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Are kitchen cabinet hinge holes universal for replacement?

Hi-

Does anyone know if we can easily replace the hinges on our cabinets?

1. We want soft close hinges. We had Blumotion in our last house which was new and they were awesome. The current ones are total junk.
2. I hate how these allow the doors to open more than 90 deg. There a quite a few places where the doors will bang into things because of this.

Thanks, j

Attached Images    
Old 01-24-18, 10:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Yes, you can easily swap out the hinges. You just need to get face frame mount + the correct overlay. The overlay is the amount that the door overlaps the frame when the door is closed.

Old 01-25-18, 01:03 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would highly recommend purchasing a Pozi-Drive screwdriver for adjusting the new hinges. A regular Phillips screwdriver will not grab the screws and will strip out. Here are a few links:
Pozi #2 Phillips Screw Driver | Rockler Woodworking and Hardware
https://www.amazon.com/Salice-D2A7XC.../dp/B00R3E5TAW

Old 01-25-18, 12:55 PM
S
cool thanks for the screw driver tip. i ordered a few test hinges. this will be so awesome to get these replaced!

Old 01-26-18, 05:14 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Being able to use original mounting holes is highly unlikely if you are changing hinge style or manufacturer. Best bet is to look for a new hinge that covers existing holes. Good luck.

Old 01-26-18, 07:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
He wants Blumotion hinges, and those are Blum hinges on his doors, so it should not be a problem.

Old 01-26-18, 09:01 AM
As far as I know all manufacturers have the same hole layout. Blum and Salice are the two most popular.

There are several ways to mount the cup to the door. Some hinges use wood screws and some use machine screws with plastic dowels pushed into the door holes.

There's a 3rd type that clamps into the cup hole and doesn't require any screws in the door.

Old 01-30-18, 11:57 AM
S
I got my Blum hinge for a trial and it worked perfectly. we have a 1 1/4" overlay. There is one wood screw on the frame of the cabinet and the two in the door at the machine screws with insert as you described.

Before I order all the rest of the hinges do I need to get the soft close for the top or is only one hinge necessary for each door? Our previous home which was new had them on both. I will definitely get them for both hinges if its recommended but otherwise I guess we should just say the money.

Thanks.

Old 01-30-18, 01:31 PM
You need to replace all hinges, top and bottom.
To save money you can order hinges without the plastic dowel inserts and just reuse the screws from the old hinges and leave the dowels inserted on the door side.
Also the soft close can be turned on or off if desired. The hinge has a tiny flat screwdriver slot that can be moved in or out.
1-1/4" is called full overlay. Another way to save money is to order Salice but I would recommend the Blum, they are the best.

Old 02-01-18, 06:14 PM
S
I need to recount but I think I need 98 of these for all our kitchen and bathroom doors = (. I purchased 1 on amazon for 5.95. This is going to get expensive quick.

Old 02-01-18, 06:22 PM
Look at commercial suppliers in your area. You should be able to find them cheaper.
If the supplier asks if you are a contractor say "yes"
If they are strict about not selling to the public, ask for a one time deal and see if they are willing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: