Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Pre-Stain Wood Condition?

CAL

02-09-18, 09:44 AM   #1 (permalink)  
Pre-Stain Wood Condition?

I am going to stain the wood table again. I saw an uneven wood at the top of the table. Can I use Pre-Stain Wood Condition before using the stain again

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-09-18, 10:17 AM   #2 (permalink)  
Normally you only use a wood conditioner [prestain] on soft woods that are bare [no finish] I doubt there is anything to be gained by using it on your table top.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

CAL

02-09-18, 10:30 AM   #3 (permalink)  
Ok Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Group Moderator

WI

02-12-18, 08:30 AM   #4 (permalink)  
I would completely strip that surface before applying any stain.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-21-18, 03:45 AM   #5 (permalink)  
The purpose of wood conditioner is to slightly seal the wood so it will accept stain more evenly. This is only needed with soft woods like pine where the soft or open grain areas will absorb more stain than the tighter/harder areas. It isn't normally needed with veneers or previously finished wood. Wood conditioner always makes the stain color lighter as it somewhat prevents the absorption of stain.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread