Having trouble ripping plywood

Old 02-26-18, 05:23 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Having trouble ripping plywood

im not a pro but not novice either, I own a kobalt portable table saw and its giving me nothing but trouble, ive borrowed a friends before in the past it was a porter cable and i have made 100s of good cuts on it years ago. I now own the kobalt 10 inch 15 amp and its not working the same, i measure from fence to front of blade and back to make sure im square and ive gotten to the point where ive even used a caliper to make for certain... when I try ripping some ply wood we will say for story sake i want to take 1 inch off, everything is square the blade is only 1/16th higher than my wood i start my push keeping it straight against the fence and by about half way through I notice the blade is starting to "bow" or bend? and its pulling my work away from the fence and no matter how hard i try to keep it straight it gets to burning my wood and its all hell... by time ive made it all the way through you can see the cut starts straight and by then end is about 1/8th off and the whole edge is burnt, ive tried pushing slow pushing fast pushing straight pushing sideways.. idk what is going on here, other than user error is there any other idea here?

Old 02-26-18, 05:31 PM
J
Received 102 Votes on 89 Posts
Cheap, wrong, or dull blade would be my guess.

Old 02-27-18, 03:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 405 Votes on 361 Posts
I'd also suspect a cheap or dull blade.
Right or wrong, I've always had better results with the blade sticking up higher than that.

Old 02-27-18, 03:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
I use one of these for finished plywood. Not cheap but never a chip.
https://pro.woodworker.com/7-laminat...su-116-459.asp
A good finish blade ( 60) to 80 ) teeth should work. Must be sharp.

Old 02-27-18, 04:56 AM
A
Received 72 Votes on 65 Posts
Safety is always first, so not raising the blade any higher than necessary is good, but 1/16" is a little too close for me. Generally speaking, I like to see a full tooth, and if you're talking a full sheet of plywood, or even a long strip, I would probably go a little more yet because the material is likely not perfectly flat, plus your feed is not necessarily on a perfect plane with the table, so you're allowing the material to ride up on the blade and then kind of shear through it under its' own weight. If you're cutting whole sheets, well that can be an art, best done with two people, and not unless your saw is outfitted with appropriate extensions. If you're talking strips, are you using feather boards? If you're using a higher count plywood blade you have to slow down a bit as it's going to get warm.

Old 02-27-18, 04:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 900 Votes on 829 Posts
I have a cheap portable table saw and the fence is a lot of the trouble. When the fence is parallel to the blade it cuts very well. Unfortunately it is not parallel to the blade after being adjusted to a new cut width. Measuring to the blade is not accurate enough so I lay a straight edge against the blade and then measure from that to both ends of the fence. I also have better luck with the blade higher so more blade is protruding above the cut wood.

Old 02-27-18, 05:09 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Yes, all of the above. On any saw if you see the blade wobbling, stop and fix the problem, be it alignment, dull blade, or wrong style blade. Cross cut, rip, tooth count, carbide, or rusted blade are a few to watch for.

Bud

Old 02-27-18, 05:44 AM
W
Received 34 Votes on 31 Posts
Sounds like the saw blade teeth are dull on one side. Replace the blade and see if that helps.

Old 02-27-18, 07:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 939 Votes on 857 Posts
I once had a worker who came to me puzzled as to why the skilsaw wasn't cutting straight.... And it was smoking a lot.

He had put the blade on backward.

Old 02-28-18, 04:43 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sure enough it was the blade, got a new dewalt 36t ripping blade and it cuts smooth as butter so kobalt must use cheap carbide because that blade was near new the paint and graphics on the side were still readable.

Old 03-01-18, 03:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
One other thing I just remembered is make sure the blade is clean of all the gums that come from cutting. I keep a spray bottle of cleaning solution It make a big difference on how long a blade will cut. You can buy special stuff for this but I use simple green.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: