Needing a attach a straight edge (with picture)

Old 02-28-18, 02:25 PM
Needing a attach a straight edge (with picture)

I need to cut about an inch off the bottom of my cabinets so a new refrigerator will fit underneath it. Thankfully the cabinets have about a 3” overhang so this shouldn’t be too difficult. Is there a good way to attach a straight edge to the cabinet near the wall? Do I just need to nail it or do they make a straight edge for this very purpose? I plan to use a Dremel Saw-Max to cut it.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-18, 02:36 PM
Group Moderator
I would use painters tape to mark the cut line. It will take a steady hand to make a straight cut. You'll need to remove the front doors for cutting.

Old 02-28-18, 02:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If your cut isn't perfect you may be able to sand out the differences.

Old 02-28-18, 03:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have never used a Dremel Saw-Maxbut if there is a straight edge on it you can clamp a board to cut along.

Old 02-28-18, 04:40 PM
Group Moderator
I would take off the bare minimum... maybe only 1/2" or 3/4". It will look goofy if you take off too much and dont see wood below your doors.

Score the left and right vertical stiles with a sharp utility knife where you plan to cut. (Use a brand new blade) Score them several times until you have cut about 1/8" deep) This will help prevent tear out as the blade does the crosscutting. Stay a fraction below the score line as you cut. I would take the doors off and use a micro pinner to fasten a 1/2" thick piece of plywood onto the face of the cabinet.

After the front has been cut, I would clamp a framing square onto the side, and score the cabinet side with a utility knife (use a brand new blade). Score it multiple times so that it is cut around 1/8" deep. Then again, put a piece of 1/2" plywood on the side as a guide... I would pin it to the cabinet with micro pins. Your saw will need to be flipped the opposite way on one of the sides... so adjust your guide accordingly.

Staying just a fraction below the cut line is the key... you will be able to sand the bottom to clean up your cut once you are done. And put some tape on the bottom plate of your saw so that it doesn't happen to scratch the finish as you cut.

I have to do this exact thing in a few weeks in the house I'm remodelling.

Old 02-28-18, 07:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I occasionally use a clamp guide straight edge:
http://www.rockler.com/all-in-one-lo...mproved-clamps

However scoring the cut line as said is the key. I can cut down a cabinet using a jigsaw only and stay just below the score line so there is no tearing of the veneer/melamine and it can be sanded smooth.

Another option is to disassemble the cabinet and make your cuts on a table saw. The cabinets are fairly easy to reassemble.

Old 03-01-18, 09:19 AM
Thanks for all the tips, especially the scoring tip. I also used a micro pinner to attach a 1/4 inch straight edge.