paint sticky after drying HELP

Old 03-18-18, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
paint sticky after drying HELP

painted a fake wood night stand

it looks amazing but after a week of standing the paint still feels tacky..

I primed it with
Zinsser Oil Based Primer (see pic below)

Waited it to dry

Then applied 3 or 4 coats of
Pratt & Lambert Accolade Paint and Primer Interior Semi Gloss paint (see pic of what kind of paint it is)

I waited about an hour and a half between coats but I'm not sure the temp was optimal as it was in the 50s in the garage during the whole process.

I've since brought the furniture into the house where it's very low humidity (30%) and 73 degrees all day. A week later it still seems what others have described as paint blocking. Where when you touch the paint it feels sticky a bit or when you put something on for a while it feels like it's adhering slightly.

Please help!

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-18, 08:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 380 Votes on 357 Posts
We keep one topic in a single thread. This is your thread. The paint guys will be by.

Old 03-18-18, 09:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 210 Posts
Well, let's see. I think the can says "dry time: 30 minutes to touch... 4 HOURS to recoat." Did you read the label?

Since your application temperature was pretty low, the recoat time should have been even longer... Maybe 6 hours or so. So you put 4 coats on while only waiting until it was barely dry to the touch each time? I can see why it's sticky. How long did you wait for the oil based primer to dry?

Fake wood is probably a photographic finish.... Like painting over vinyl contact paper. It's not like painting wood where the wood sucks up the moisture... It has to dry completely in one direction through evaporation.

All you can do at this point is wait for it to cure. It will probably take a long time if it EVER does. I imagine it would feel pretty rubbery. Semi gloss paint is often sticky even when dry times are observed.

I would wait 30 days, then lightly scuff sand it and if you want to stick with a P & L paint, apply a coat of Aquanamel GLOSS finish, since it will be the hardest film they have in waterborne.

Old 03-19-18, 03:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
I'm not familiar with that particular coating. Many of the cheaper latex enamels never dry to a very hard film [not saying your paint is cheap] I do agree that you recoated too soon. I agree with X's advice, if it doesn't cure hard enough in 30 days it should be sanded and top coated with a different coating. Waterborne enamels dry harder and are more durable than latex enamels.

Old 03-19-18, 10:53 AM
Thanks guys, it does seem like I did not wait long enough between coats and the low temps didn't help. At this point I have a heater set to 80 degrees and am circulating warm air in the room. Any thoughts on applying some kind of polyurethane finish on them (if the waiting and warm air will not help)? I dont think sanding them is realistic because they are not a smooth surface but textured.

Old 03-19-18, 12:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 50 Posts
I have to ask - why would you use Paint & Primer with a separate primer?

Old 03-19-18, 12:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 210 Posts
The point of "lightly sanding" is to remove any little imperfections on the surface. Another way of saying it is to go over it with a 180-220 grit in about 10 seconds. It removes anything that would catch on a dust rag.

Old 03-19-18, 12:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not fond of applying poly over paint and I don't know a lot about water based polys. Oil base poly will dry to a hard film but may darken the paint color some and it will give whites and off whites an amber tint.

Old 03-26-18, 01:50 PM
followed instructions from the paint place, plus i was not planning to sand down the furniture so it made some sense to me..

Old 03-26-18, 04:38 PM
Received 112 Votes on 103 Posts
painted a fake wood night stand
You got really good paint, not always a fan of using oil based primers with latex paints but I know many do.

So what exactly is the fake wood? I suspect this is more the cause of the problem than the paint of primer!

Old 03-27-18, 03:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What prep was done prior to painting? Contaminants on the substrate can affect how a coating will dry.