help with wood working.

Old 04-01-18, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
help with wood working.

I have just inheirited a shop full of carpentry tools and power tools . that I really know nothing about. except to maybe cut a board on the saws. i'm looking for someone to advise me on how to use these tool and how to maintain them they have not been used in about 6 or7 years. and I would really like to learn about them and how to put them to good use. any direction would be helpful. thank you roma.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-18, 12:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
Here is a page of books. I would get the woodworking for dummies if you know little.
https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?...&hsimp=yhs-109
When you have a question on how to use a certain tool post back. Your question is way to general to answer.

Old 04-01-18, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You should also check with local schools, community colleges which may have woodworking classes. I live in a small remote town, yet we have those type classes as well as several craftsmen who hold classes from beginner to advanced in everything from basic woodworking to fancy furniture construction. You may even find someone who will help you checkout the tools for proper operation and safety. Woodworkers (as well as other ardent hobbyists) love helping people as long as you are willing to learn and truly interested.

You'll also find out quickly whether it's something you'd like to pursue or whether you would be better off divesting yourself of the unwanted or unneeded tools.

You may have to ask around at local hardware stores and lumberyards (not home centers) or peruse some classifieds to find who/what you need.

Old 04-01-18, 03:13 PM
thank you. i'll check them out.

Old 04-01-18, 06:23 PM
Gunguy gave some great advice. I would also check out youtube. I just did search for "Table Saw Safety" on youtube and there were hundreds of videos. Good luck learning your new tools!

Old 04-02-18, 05:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 31 Posts
Tune in Norm Abram's New Yankee Workshop, too. Although his projects would be beyond most beginners he also covers some basics in the process.

Here's an episode:

New Yankee Workshop - About The New Yankee Workshop

Old 04-02-18, 06:19 AM
Received 65 Votes on 60 Posts
That certainly could be an endless list and endless task. You mentioned maintaining as well as that they have sat for a number of years, so that is where I would start. And "carpentry and power tools" is a rather broad subject that can mean a lot of different things from one person to the next. And location is a big factor because I for example, living in Michigan, have a lot wider temperature swings and condensation to deal with than someone in say Phoenix. But the first thing I would start with is maintenance, specifically getting some WD40, Boeshield T9, or whatever you chose, and use it on critical components such as planes, router bits, chisels, etc. Such things can go from the best in the world to nothing but junk if left to rust and pit. There is a lot to read and study even on just which products to use for this, a whole topic by itself, but the thing you need to know now is that they all do work even if some better than others, so do something. On table saws, drill press tables, etc., I like Johnson's paste wax, but even the aforementioned products, although they won't last as well on these surfaces, will delay rust. On drill bits, calipers, verniers, etc., wiping them with a rag with some 3 in 1 oil on it provides decent protection. All of this is ongoing in my shop anyway, never ending, but after several years you have some catching up to do so that's where I would start. And it would give you a good opportunity for some hands on idea of where things are, what goes with what, etc. Odd looking wrenches for example, that don't seem to go with any sets, possibly belong with a particular saw or whatever. For the most part, I try to keep those special tools with the tool they belong to, but if that's not practical for whatever reason they may be hanging on the wall or in a cabinet. Many times those are priceless if one wants to adjust something on a particular tool, so most of mine are marked in some way, a wire tag, paint stick, felt marker or whatever, but I have seen a lot of guys simply toss them on a bench with everything else, making them harder to decipher, and that's some of what you may very well run into.