Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Waxing Furniture Issue

VA

04-13-18, 10:02 AM   #1  
Waxing Furniture Issue

I build furniture and usually finish with a shellac sealer coat followed by three coats of a water based Minwax product. I like to do a final sand with 400 or 600 paper and apply a wax. My experience has been that I cannot get all of the wax to buff out. There are streaks that are dull and no amount of buffing will remove this excess wax.

What am I doing wrong?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

04-13-18, 10:07 AM   #2  
I would assume you have a few comparatively rough areas on the finish. Are you lightly sanding each and every coat before you apply the next? Using a block sander?

VA

04-13-18, 04:00 PM   #3  
When I spray the finish, it is slightly like a very fine sandpaper. I used flotrol to try to help the finish smooth out, but that did not seem to work. And yes I use a small block sander. The finish seems to be better on vertical surfaces than horizontal ones.

Group Moderator

NE

04-13-18, 04:37 PM   #4  
Yes, diluting your poly is a very bad idea. Poly is not going to form a hard durable finish if you dilute it.

Your problems are probably the result of your pebbley finish... it should be smooth as glass before you wax it. I would suggest you change products or sprayers or both.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-14-18, 04:11 AM   #5  
I've applied wax over oil base poly/varnish a time or two but never have over water based poly. Water based doesn't dry to as hard a film as oil does so that might effect the wax. Oil base also sprays better with small spray guns.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread