Recently purchased Dining Table. What is happening to it?

Old 09-03-18, 07:53 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recently purchased Dining Table. What is happening to it?

Hi everyone, bought a nice quality dining table with dark walnut stain from a store in NJ two years ago. It is our formal dining table and has been used only 4 times in the last two years.

Developed these blotchy light areas in the stain in at least 5 spots... Some areas are in light exposure, others where it is usually shady. Some were under a basic fabric table setting mat, some exposed. On mulitple difference planks of wood. So basically, fairly random , except they all are generally in the perimeter of the table.

Is the stain coming off? Should the store repair this free of charge?

Thank you.

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-18, 08:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 334 Votes on 307 Posts
It looks like something hot was set on it. No i would not ecpect the store to fix it if it was not like that when you bought it.

Old 09-03-18, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 80 Votes on 61 Posts
Not an expert, but it looks like water damage, maybe from condensation from under a glass perhaps.
Unless you have a lifetime warranty, regardless the cause, I doubt they'll repair it for free. Doesn't look like natural causes to me, but that's just me. Others will probably chime in.
There may be a product that can correct this, but not sure, otherwise it may need to be refinished.

Old 09-03-18, 08:45 AM
M
Thanks for your replies . Only adults used the table and the 6 spots would imply that 6 spills occured of sufficient size to cause such damage . Also we only kept dinner plates on the table and not any hot serving plates . I have to believe it is a natural cause ?

Old 09-03-18, 08:47 AM
B
Received 33 Votes on 30 Posts
If the store manufactured it as opposed to importing it then they have the capability to refinish the top and might offer to do so if you ask nicely. Simply as for advice without suggesting they must do it for free. By asking you are giving them the opportunity to fix one of their own products and salvage a good customer.

Plead your case and let us know how they respond.

Bud

Old 09-03-18, 09:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 176 Votes on 156 Posts
It looks like moisture to me also, possibly humidity trapped under the place mats. I doubt there is any danger of the finish coming off. Not sure if there are any fixes short of sanding and applying a coat of new finish.

Old 09-03-18, 10:37 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 64 Posts
Is there any finish on there or just stain?

Old 09-03-18, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 80 Votes on 61 Posts
Doesn't have to be a spill. Like I said, I suspect condensation from the bottom of glasses, especially with the awful humidity we've had lately. Notice they're all at spots where a glass or cup would probably be placed.
I have a table protector over mine and then covered with a tablecloth, so this doesn't happen.

Old 09-03-18, 05:09 PM
M
It seems hard to believe that eating on the table 4 times in two years would cause sufficient water damage to discolor the table. I could be wrong though .

The table does have a poly finish. I tried a stain pen to just see if I could fix it but the stain wipes off due to the poly.

Old 09-03-18, 05:49 PM
S
Group Moderator
I think Mark probably has your best suggestion, then:
Not sure if there are any fixes short of sanding and applying a coat of new finish.

Old 09-03-18, 05:55 PM
B
As I suggested give the store a call. One, you need to get this fixed and two you need to know why it happened and the store is the best place to get answers to both. They may have already run into this problem on other tables they have sold and thus may have a solution in hand.

I owned a retail business for many years and the only time my customers could experience my first class service was when they came back with a problem. Give that store the opportunity to demonstrate their quality service.

Bud

Old 09-03-18, 07:19 PM
S
Group Moderator
OK, go with Bud's suggestion first

Old 09-04-18, 04:58 AM
A
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
I cannot explain the significance but I did notice that some of the stains end at the joint between planks.

But finishing of the table in the factory undoubtedly consisted of covering the surface evenly after all of the planks were assembled.

Old 09-04-18, 05:11 AM
Received 135 Votes on 123 Posts
No doubt in my mind that this is water or moisture damage.

Old 09-04-18, 05:15 AM
B
Allan,"I cannot explain the significance but I did notice that some of the stains end at the joint between planks."

Could that imply that the moisture came from the wood?

Bud

Old 09-04-18, 05:24 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Was that a "new" Table when purchased 2 years ago, . . . . or already an Antique ?

We have a 150 Year Old Table whose wood looks newer; but it has always been used with protective pads that buffer the finish from steam and heat when it's used for actual dining.

Old 09-04-18, 05:55 AM
Received 135 Votes on 123 Posts
Was that a "new" Table when purchased 2 years ago, . . . . or already an Antique ?
I'm read it as a brand new table with distressed surface.

Old 09-04-18, 06:26 PM
Received 31 Votes on 25 Posts
Not sure if there are any fixes short of sanding and applying a coat of new finish.
Before you go the sanding/refinishing route try ironing the spots through a white tee shirt (Google "Remove water stains in wood" for details).

It worked for me on a wooden tray but it did not have a poly finish.