Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Hardware, Tools, Wood & Metal Working, Home & Business Security > Furniture, Wood and Cabinetry Finishing
Reload this Page >

Advice needed: the slant front door on this desk needs to be repaired/replaced

Old 09-07-18, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

TL;DR: How can a completely inexperienced person fix the drop front door to this desk as inexpensively g simple as possible? Please explain like I'm 5....

This desk was supposed to be a little half day project, but the drop front piece is more badly damaged than I realized. When I got the desk, it had some very weird and primitive mods to it to make it functional (esthetics were definitely not considered), so I'm not sure what is original and what isn't.

There are many little nails all over the drop font piece, in attempt to repair the veneer that is warping and deparating. I'm not sure how to get the tiny nails out without cracking the wood. The trim on the top is also damaged with a chunk missing, because it seems the last owner replaced the original lock hardware with some kind of padlock, which damaged the drop door.

Is there a way to track a new piece of thin wood to the front? Should I try to peel off the veneer (although im afraid that will damage it even further)? Is there a way to replace the missing trim on the top edge of the door with a piece of moulding of some kind? Should I start all over & make something from scratch?

I am very inexperienced with this stuff, so please explain like I'm 5 on what I should use (and where I can get it) to repair or replace this door!
Album of the desk

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-18, 10:29 AM
Received 23 Votes on 19 Posts
Please provide some close-up pictures of the areas you describe.

Also, are you just trying to fix these issues or restore the desk to some semblance of its original condition?

Old 09-07-18, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I did include a link to an album where there are closeup pictures of the damage (in original post), but I just uploaded another album with more detailed photos, if it helps.

The additional photos album link is Here.

IIdont want o restore it to it's old glory. I'm just trying to repair it to an acceptable asthetic. I plan on painting it when I'm done.

Last edited by Aoibhell; 09-07-18 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Bad link
Old 09-07-18, 04:21 PM
Received 23 Votes on 19 Posts
Looks like some creative filling and prep work will be enough to get ready for painting. Cuts and small holes that are not going to be reused for structural purposes (hinges, locks, etc.) can be filled with wood filler and sanded smooth. Larger holes (where the lock was and where the hasp is) may need a small piece of wood glued in and then have filler applied and sanded smooth at the joint with the old wood. Epoxy filler could also be used for those holes. Remove the nails and cut and remove the veneer where it is water damaged and coming off and fill the area with wood filler. Sand everything to make a smooth clean surface for painting, prime and paint.

Old 09-07-18, 05:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 302 Votes on 275 Posts
I would probably take the door off, then run it through a table saw to cut maybe 1/4" off each side and square up the edges. Then glue and brad nail new wood onto those edges, then add a piece of veneer to the top.