kitchen cabinets: stains from hinges

Old 05-21-01, 01:07 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi,
I'd like to refinish my kitchen cabinets (pine? plywood, circa 1960). The current finish is badly damaged - lots of scratches, badly yellowing, etc. Also, the current hinges extend about 4" across the face of the doors (maybe "Western" style?) - I want to replace these with hinges that attach to the inside of the doors.

Here's the problem - I can't get rid of the "shadow of the hinges. I've removed a door, stripped it, and sanded it. It looks great except for where the hinges used to be. I'm guessing that metal from the hinges (they are copper-colored) has leached into the wood. I tried oxalic acid, to no avail. I tried sanding; this helped, but I eventually punctured the veneer without getting rid of the shadow. Tips? Suggestions? I would consider staining them, if this would help to hide the discoloration, but I'm afraid it will just make it more obvious.

Thanks in advance...

Old 05-21-01, 01:53 PM
Visiting Guest
I hope I can help. I am assuming that you want to refinish your cabinets with a paint and not a stain. To keep the cabinets from yellowing, you should use a latex paint with a clear latex topcoat. To keep the hinges from showing up, you could do a couple of things. Apparently, some of the stain from the hinges is bleeding through so you should use a stain blocking primer or a shellac to prevent the stain from coming through. Then paint the cabinet. If your intention is to stain the cabinets, I think that all the scratches and the hinges will continue to show through. You could use a gelled stain which has a lot of opacity and that may shield some of the imperfections.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: