Brass countertop for kitchen

Old 11-03-18, 10:16 AM
Brass countertop for kitchen

Hi all, I am planning on building my own kitchen and currently i am looking into making a brass countertop since I like the look of it. But since brass is quite sensitive and will oxidate when it comes in contact with acids and even water I was curious if there are any possibilities in giving it a (food save) coating. I don't mind the oxidation process, acually I quite like the look of it but I can imagine it's better for the whole lifespan of the material and for your own safety if it has some kind of coating, since I think the oxidation itself is also not very healthy if you come in contact with it?

Thanks for reading!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-18, 06:17 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums from the Netherlands.

I don't know the exact answer to your question so I was checking around. I know of copper and brass tops for bars but they aren't used for food prep. Somehow I can't envision prepping food on any metal other than stainless steel.

I'd recommend checking with a countertop company in your area for a quote and recommendation.

Old 11-04-18, 04:55 AM
Group Moderator
Brass, while pretty will be a high maintenance surface.

I would source your brass carefully. Most of it comes from Asia and it can sometimes contain lead. For a food prep surface you should make sure you get lead free brass.

Brass, because of it's copper content, can impart a flavor to food. It's one reason brass was never really used for utensils and why silver and stainless steel are.

Then there is the tarnishing. I would just let it tarnish. Any coating you put on the counter will end up flaking or wearing off and could get into your food. If the counter is kept clean it will not tarnish quickly and you can use polish to bring back the shine if you want. But, as you mentioned spills and contact with some food will cause it to tarnish more quickly. You could always be vigilant and not let food touch the counter by always using a cutting board and keeping food in a container.

Old 11-04-18, 05:46 AM
About the only possible solution would be to put a very heavy and thick epoxy coating to seal it. Something like

Bar & Table Top Epoxy | Commercial Grade Bartop Epoxy

Old 11-04-18, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the reactions so far, I also read on the internet lately that cooked linseed oil could be used as a protector, since it's also commonly used on wooden countertops. Anyone has any experience with this on metal surfaces? I suppose it will wear of over time on metal and that it needs to be applied a couple of times per year...?

Old 11-04-18, 11:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've used boiled linseed oil on wood but it really needs to be cut in half with thinner in order for it to suck in and dry. I've never tried it on metal but would be concerned that it wouldn't dry good and always be tacky.