Advice on Staining.

Old 12-31-18, 04:21 PM
Advice on Staining.

I'm creating a kitchen island with a butcher block top. The wood is premade birch. The rest of the kitchen is white cabinets with a black countertop (vinyl laminate, not granite)

I would like to stain the wood with a color that will work well with the black laminate.

Had anyone used Minwax's TruBlack or Classic Black stains? I don't want to go so dark that the butcher block effect is lost.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-19, 02:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 72
What type of finish is currently on the top? Birch doesn't accept dark stains very well.

Old 01-01-19, 08:26 AM
Currently, unstained, unsanded.

Old 03-13-19, 06:45 PM
A suggestion. Find a small piece of the same wood (Birch) and stain it with Minwax "Jacobean." It is a pretty dark brown stain that might work Probably a better test would be, on the same Birch sample, Is India Ink which is totally black. BUT, if put on properly. it can be made a little translucent depending on how you apply it.

My way is not to use a brush, but a soft cloth or a clean nylon sock. Do not overload the cloth or sock. Wipe the surface immediately after applying either the Jacobean or the India Ink to get the color you want.

Be prepared to do many small samples until you get the finish color and transparency you like.

Larry

Old 07-12-19, 11:01 AM
Thought I'd stop by and show off the finished product. The imperfect way in which the birch took the stain actually ended up giving the top a unique look.

I've got pics here.
https://honeydoconstruction.weebly.c...en-island.html

Thanks for all the input.