Stain or paint??

Old 05-24-01, 07:05 AM
Visiting Guest
I have several antique radios and other furniture that I am refinishing that have areas (mostly trim) where the finish appears to be more of a paint than stain. It looks somewhat like stain but the wood grain does not come through the stain and the wood is not a stainable quality (i.e., no significant grain). I would like to know what kind of finish to use and also would like to know what kind of wood is used on this trim. I suppose it is a lower qualtiy wood.
Any help will be appreciated.
Jerry

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-01, 06:26 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Jerry:

Faux finishes are not as 'new' as many people think - they've been around, literally, for centuries.

Byzantine styles as well as Baroque (and other other preceeding styles) used this technique to imitate wood patterns (usually faking inlay and marquetry). The wood underneath is inferior only in the sense that it isn't a 'pretty' wood, such as mahogany or walnut or sych. The wood is usually either poplar or ash. Both were used widely as trim becuase they are so easily shaped with a router or shaper. They cut cleanly, with few if any 'burrs', and being fairly close grained, they are relatively easy to paint.

You can use just about any finish, but those pieces were generally finished with lacquer or shellac - depending on the age.

Old 05-26-01, 08:56 PM
Visiting Guest
Stain or Paint?

George:
Thanks for the reply.
I'm not sure that I am making my self clear on this. I have some radios and other furniture that have a fake finish. It appears that they have someway of painting on a fake finish. If you put paint remover on it it turns a white color and desolves the paint (or what ever it is).
This "fake finish" is not what I was questioning. The finish that I am questioning on the trim has a similar color as the finish on other parts of the radio but appears to be more of a paint as it has no grain and is not clear. I'm not clear on what kind of finish that you are describing but do not think that it is what I'm trying to duplicate.
Again, your help is appreciated.
Thanks
Jerry

Old 05-27-01, 09:49 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Jerry:

Sorry about the confusion. I have duplicated the appearance you're describing using a variety of materials. Unfortunately, I just don't know how the original was done.

For a more learned response, check with my friend Jim Cole at the web site listed below. He deals constantly with antiques in his shop in North Carolina and is much more knowledgable in this area than I am. You'll find Jim moderating the furniture refinishing forum.

http://www.antiquerestorers.com