Burled Wood Advice

Old 03-31-19, 08:23 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Burled Wood Advice

I bought an antique headboard that had obviously not been used for a long time as it was very dirty. I planned to clean it up and refinish it. I’d never done this before, but did my research and figured it couldn’t be that hard to refinish a flat piece of wood. After throwing out several buckets of black water, I stripped it, and noticed lots of swirls in the wood. I thought it had been left out in the rain or something until I did some more research and discovered it has a layer of veneer burled wood. My question is what do I do now? Put a clear coat of something on it? Something else? Any advice would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-19, 09:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 207 Votes on 184 Posts
Welcome to the forums Patricia!

You should be able to sand it lightly with 220 grit and apply a coat of poly.

Old 03-31-19, 11:14 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 442 Votes on 406 Posts
Does it need to be coated? Is the old finish still in good condition?

Is it in basically good condition but just needs another coat of finish? If so then I'd test to find out what was used; linseed oil, shellac, polyurethane... If you find out what was originally used you can apply another coat with just a light sanding and not have to strip down to bare wood.

Old 04-01-19, 10:37 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies.The headboard is in really good shape. Since I've already stripped off the finish, I'll try sanding it lightly and putting a coat of poly on it.

Old 04-01-19, 12:19 PM
Received 36 Votes on 30 Posts
Go real easy on the sanding. That veneer could be quite thin. Maybe just use a "scrubee" pad.

Old 04-01-19, 02:10 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 78 Posts
The sanding Mark mentioned is just to scuff up the surface to create nooks and crannies for the poly to flow into - this creates a mechanical bond so the layer doesn't peel - you're not trying to remove any appreciable amount of material.