Help with butcher block fold down countertop

Old 05-20-19, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Help with butcher block fold down countertop

I have very limited countertop space so while prepping to install the cabinets I thought maybe it would be a good idea, after I cut the end off, to use the end part of the countertop with some hinges and some kind of prop to extend the space.

I have googled around a bit but haven't really come up with anything. Is there a name for this process? Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to do this? Or any suggestions on why I shouldn't do this??

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-19, 09:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 196 Votes on 181 Posts
It's a pretty simple process. It will come down to how fancy or complex you want to make things. You just need some hinges on the bottom side and a fold out leg or support. I might consider a continuous piano hinge if you want simple and functional but there are many hinge types that will work.

rufunky voted this post useful.
Old 05-20-19, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hello Pilot, what do you think about using something like these? This would combine the hinge and support into one.

https://www.amazon.com/YUMORE-Foldin...ustomerReviews

Old 05-20-19, 12:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 196 Votes on 181 Posts
Yes, it can work. But think about how you want it to look in both the up and down position.

The hinge you linked, when up will form a nice continuous surface but when folded though think of how the hinge will work. With the hinge pivot point located away from the mounting surface a gap will open when the counter is folded. And when in the folded position the counter will be held away from the cabinet by the thickness of the hinge. There is nothing right or wrong about it but you do need to be aware of how it will work.

A piano hinge on the other hand has it's pivot point right on the bottom of the counter. You will have the same continuous surface when up. When closed the counter will fold right on it's bottom edge and the tiny gap will be covered by the hinge. And because the hinge is so flat the counter can fold and lie flush against the cabinet. But... you need something else to hold the counter in the up position.

I'm just pointing out that there are many ways to skin a cat. You have many options that will work. Each will have it's own pro's and con's.

rufunky voted this post useful.