Sherwin Williams All Surface Enamel on cabinets (Kitchen)

Old 06-09-19, 08:44 PM
Sherwin Williams All Surface Enamel on cabinets (Kitchen)

I don't like the smell of the stuff! Anyways, I needed Peppercorn color for my bottom kitchen cabinets and was using ProClassic on the top cabinets in Dover White which came out great.

The kid at SW said that they "don't have a deep base in ProClassic and so sold me the All Surface Enamel and said it would work fine on Kitchen Cabinets.

Well I sanded after using Zinsser Cover Stain (sanded before also to smooth the 40 year old cabinet doors and applied a coat of the ALL Surface Enamel. So far I'm seeing white splotches through the paint using a roller.

Is this NORMAL since I used a white primer underneath it?

Is this All Surface Enamel good? Is it true that they don't have a DEEP BASE (for the Peppercorn color) in ProClassic?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-19, 08:53 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, that's normal... you usually want to use a tinted primer if you can. It will take several coats to cover a white primer. The glossier the primer, the less chance you have of one coat coverage. The best primers leave a flat, sandable finish.

Old 06-10-19, 03:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've not applied a lot of their all surface enamel but don't recall ever having any issues with it. Dark colors normally cover better than their lighter counterpart but you are talking a big color change. 2 coats would be minimum. ProClassic only comes in white and pastels.

Old 06-10-19, 10:53 AM
Thanks after the second coat it looks better. Is it normal to be tacky after a night of drying? It doesn't come off on my hand or leave prints that i can see, but feels tacky like a tack cloth I guess.

Old 06-10-19, 11:09 AM
Group Moderator
There is a difference between "dry to the touch" and "cured". Paint can sometimes take 30 days or so to fully cure... especially if several coats were applied in a short time. My guess is that it will eventually lose its tackiness.

Old 06-10-19, 12:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is this the oil base or latex all purpose enamel?

Old 06-10-19, 02:29 PM
It's latex base Mark. Thanks

Old 06-11-19, 03:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't think I've ever used the latex version but many latex enamels take a week or more to harden.

Old 06-12-19, 03:12 AM
I'm thinking of getting something else, maybe emerald or duration or something cause it's 3 days later and this paint is still tacky and leaving fingerprints and everything and I've read of others having similar problems with it.

Old 06-12-19, 09:11 PM
I ended up spending another $50 for Emerald in the Peppercorn. I like Emerald so far! Very smooth paint going on. Hopefully it will work out good. It's drying now.

So I wasted about $50 on the All Surface Enamel, but I doubt they'll take it back.

Old 06-13-19, 02:47 PM
I keep getting dust and little hairs in the final coat of my base cabinet doors. Is there a way to remove a small hair, etc?

Old 06-13-19, 02:50 PM
Group Moderator
Keep the work area clean (vacuum floors) and avoid any moving air that would kick up dust. Could be an open window or a door you open to go in and out. You need to lightly sand between coats to remove any debris from the previous coat. Check/change the furnace filter as needed.

Old 06-13-19, 08:43 PM
Thanks I do sand between coats. This is in the FINAL coat. I managed to scrape out the defects and just brushed on a light coat over the areas. Hopefully the brush marks won't show that much. I did go light.