Sanding Sealer and Topcoats

Old 08-12-19, 03:43 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sanding Sealer and Topcoats

This is a question about wood finishing so I placed it here. I am working on refinishing an electric guitar. I have bought some General Finishes Enduro Water Based Sanding Sealer and General Finishes Water Based High Performance Top Coat. It states that I can apply multiple sanding sealer layers with a 2 hour wait time between coats. It goes on to say that it will 'cure' completely in 21 days. Since I can place multiple sanding sealer coats in a 24-hour period, I am wondering if I can also go ahead and apply the topcoats, also with a 2 hour wait between coats and 21-day cure time, in the same day and then allow ALL coats to cure for 21 days?

Thanks,
Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-19, 04:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 162 Votes on 152 Posts
The instructions on your top coat should tell you how to proceed. I would assume that if both products say 2 hrs between coats, you could do 4 coats in 8 hours.

Keep in mind that you will likely want to lightly sand between coats with fine sandpaper. That should be in the directions.

It won't reach full hardness for 21 days.

Old 08-12-19, 05:39 PM
Yes, I know to sand between coats. My concern is about the cure time for the sanding sealer and the cure time for the topcoat. Can I apply both types of coats and let them cure together, or do I have to apply the sanding sealer coats, let the guitar cure for 21 days, then apply the top coat, and then let the guitar cure for an additional 21 days?

Old 08-12-19, 06:08 PM
Group Moderator
The instructions seem pretty clear to me. Nowhere does it say to wait 21 days before applying topcoat.

Old 08-13-19, 04:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 90 Posts
The more coats you apply the longer you should wait between coats as you run the risk of the top coats drying while the bottom coat is still soft. It should eventually cure but the entire finish will be susceptible to damage until all coats are cured.

Old 08-13-19, 07:14 AM
So, if applied the sanding sealer and left a week, I could then apply the topcoats? Then once finished let cure for the entire 3 weeks?

Matt

Old 08-13-19, 09:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 90 Posts
I doubt you need to wait a week between the sealer and the finish. The thing to remember is the more quick coats you apply, the longer it will take the first coat to cure.

Old 08-13-19, 05:27 PM
Group Moderator
So, if applied the sanding sealer and left a week, I could then apply the topcoats? Then once finished let cure for the entire 3 weeks?
Your instructions say you wait 2 hours between coats of sanding sealer. You can also apply finish coat after 2 hours. Once you are finished applying coats of finish, expect 21 days for all of it to fully cure.

if you were supposed to wait 21 days after sealer it would say that between steps 6 and 7, which it does not say.

Old 08-14-19, 07:13 AM
Ok, thanks for your help.

Matt