whitewashing/distressed painting

Old 05-31-01, 01:45 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Hi George, I am very interested in the whitewashed look. It is also called distressed look. This would be an alternative to just painting kitchen cabinets. I love the look. How do you go about it. Most likely you must sand. But I have no idea what to do after that. Would the process be the same for any color ? Of distressed look? I saw a distressed green dresser draw set in an unfinished furniture store. It was very lovely. Thanks . P.S. George can you buy just kitchen cabinets to replace old kitchen cabinets without having totally remodel your kitchen? A do it yourself project. Where could you get these cabinets? Thanks Again Justjoett Justnjoett
Old 05-31-01, 06:19 PM
George's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: South Hill, Va. USA
Posts: 2,817
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

To my mind, whitewashing a distressing are two different techniques. First, here's a couple of sites that have instructions on whitewashing:



As far as replacing the kitchen cabinets, I suggest you visit a home center and talk with someone knowledgable in the field - there's a lot more to it than just picking out some new ones and sliding them (or screwing them) in place on your floors and walls.

Sears (among others) offers a cabinet refacing service you may want to investigate.

Further thoughts on a different look - check out some of the stains made by Minwax (and others). They come in a variety of pastel shades as well as the traditional wood tones, and may be an easier way to get from where you are to where you want to be.
Old 07-03-08, 04:03 PM
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Whitewashing cabinets

There are several sites with information on how to do this. Try this one:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: