Ideas for DIY outdoor table

Old 09-14-19, 04:42 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ideas for DIY outdoor table

Greetings all- my first post ever, apologies if my noobishness shows.

I have https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/glivarp...ated-40334695/ that I'd like to convert to an outdoor table. More specifically, I'm planning to ditch all the metal associated with it, and create a wood frame to inset or mount the glass leaves permanently together, most likely giving it a smooth surface, with the glass "inside" a wood rim/frame. I apologize if I'm not using all the correct terminology, I have no formal woodworking training, but I do have a handful of tools and some experience.

I'm hoping someone could guide me to a similar idea I could pattern off of, or wouldn't mind giving me some in-depth instruction on how to proceed. I've done enough projects to be a little frustrated when I thought I knew what I was doing, and boy, did I not.

Thank you in advance,
-Sean

Old 09-15-19, 06:38 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 785 Votes on 722 Posts
I would build the wood table frame in the style you like. Then use a router to route out a inner perimeter recess/lip to hold the glass.

Old 04-24-20, 08:52 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion Dane (I forgot to follow up on this) but my skill level may still be in question, as I don't know where to start with finding instructions for a wood frame I would like. The groove to insert the glass seems like a straightforward way to go, though. As I don't possess a router, I believe a similar result could be accomplished with a table saw, yes?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: