Which sander to use?

Old 01-26-20, 08:53 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Smile Which sander to use?

I am going to do a paint stripping and then sand a louvered closet door. Would using a round sander or rectangular sander make a difference? I need to get one or the other but don't know which to get.
Thanks for your help

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-20, 09:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
Getting into the small spaces of the lovers would be difficult with either a random orbit sander or a palm sander. Check into a detail sander or an Oscillating Tool with a sanding pad. They will sand slower but are designed to get into tight spaces.

Old 01-26-20, 09:20 AM
Thanks! I am not familiar with either of those but I'll check them out.

Old 01-26-20, 10:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
What is your end game? If you are wanting to stain or poly the door you'll want to remove as much paint as possible with a chemical stripper first.

Old 01-26-20, 12:59 PM
That's the plan. I have learned the hard way that it is necessary to strip off the many layers of paint I am finding on the doors. I plan to paint them again but really prefer to get them as smooth as possible which means getting all the paint off.

Old 01-27-20, 04:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Personally I wouldn't go thru the trouble of stripping them just to repaint them. I'd sand them down with 80 grit until I was convinced all the defects and/or paint without a great bond was removed, then sand again with 120 grit before painting.

Old 01-27-20, 06:20 AM
Received 71 Votes on 66 Posts
Your louvers look OK so I would just sand them lightly by hand with 120 grit before painting.

Looks like the last coat of paint on the side rails did not adhere properly to the door.
So I would sand the last coat off.You will probably find that it will start peeling off in other areas as you sand.
Would be a good idea to use a a primer before putting on finish coats.

As far as a sander the one I use the most is a quarter sheet sander.
It does a good job and the sandpaper is lower cost than other sanders (in my experience)

Old 01-27-20, 09:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm also partial to quarter sheet sanders. I like the fact that you don't have to buy special paper but can just cut a 1/4 off of regular sandpaper in whatever grit you need/have.

There is a good chance that the last coat of paint was latex applied directly over oil base enamel. Your heavy duty sanding to remove that coat is likely all that is needed to make the next coat of latex enamel adhere although coating it first with a solvent based primer would insure adhesion.