Lifting stair case newel

Old 03-19-20, 06:17 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lifting stair case newel

I am renovating a staircase (replacing treads and flooring). I will have to lift the newel in order to accomplish this. It is hollow box newel, but not sure how it is anchored. I can see six wood plugs (3 on each of two sides) plugs are about 1/2” diameter. Does it mean there are screws under the plugs that can be accessed to release the newel? Do these get glued in too? I would like to save it, and restain if possible. How should I trouble shoot this?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-20, 06:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 429 Votes on 392 Posts
Yeah, they hopefully are not glued. If they are flush plugs, you will need to drive a screw through the center of the wood plug. When the screw you are driving in hits the underlying screw head, it will drive the plug out. You will just need to get new wood plugs and stain them to match after you install them.

If the plugs are more like button plugs, and they stick out, you may be able to knock them off with a hammer and chisel.

Old 03-19-20, 07:43 PM
B
Thank you so much! I will try that.
Related question on the hand rail. The bottom end of rail (attached to the newel), has a large (1,25”) wood plug on underside. Does that cover some kind of lag bolt? Do I remove it the same way?

The top end of rail attached to a wooden block on the wall, I see no wood plugs, just two small (3/16” ) “fillings” in the rail. Small screws vs. nails?

Your insight is very much appreciated!

Old 03-19-20, 07:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 429 Votes on 392 Posts
The 1.25" plug covers a rail bolt... you can try the screw trick. It will no doubt be glued into place, so might not want to come out. You also need a special skinny wrench to undo the nut that is inside that round mortise. I've got the wrench but you cant usually buy them in stores. It's a tool only finish carpenters would have if they work on handrails.

Yes, the mounting block is probably screwed to the wall with finish screws. Or maybe it was nailed with a finish gun. Just dig out the filler with an awl and see if you can find a head. Might be T15 torx.

Old 03-20-20, 06:07 AM
B
Thank you so much, and for the link!!

Last edited by boonjh; 03-20-20 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Typo